In July 2016, the Frontenac Heritage Foundation hosted a talk on architectural terra cotta decoration in Kingston on the 2nd floor of the RCHA Building.
For a period of about fifteen years, approximately from 1885 to 1900, decorative terra cotta occasionally was incorporated into the brickwork of Kingston buildings. It was an attractive expression of Queen Anne style that still gives pleasure today. In the 20th century, glazed terra cotta in the form of faux stone also entered the repertoire of building construction in the city. For the past five years, Dorothy Farr has been documenting these uses of terra cotta and her presentation provided an introduction to a previously unstudied aspect of Kingston’s architectural history.
An Example of Terracotta from 102 Stuart Street
Now retired, Dorothy was for many years Associate Director and the Curator of Canadian Art at the Agnes Etherington Art Centre at Queen’s University.