St. Mark’s Church 1843, Barriefield

  • DATE: August, 2017
  • LOCATION: St. Mark’s Church 1843, Barriefield
  • PHOTO CREDIT: Frontenac Heritage Foundation

“This church, a fine example of the early style of Gothic Revival architecture, was built with the aid of funds subscribed by the British Admiralty and by settlers at Barriefield, many of whom had been employees of the Royal Naval dockyard at Navy Bay. John Bennett Marks, a naval paymaster, donated the land for a site. The cornerstone was laid by Bishop John Strachan July 10, 1843, and the church designed by Alfred Brunel, was opened by Archdeacon George Okill Stuart July 7, 1844…” (excerpt of OHT plaque)


Related Works